The Astronaut Scholarship Foundation provides $15,000 scholarships for "outstanding students who exhibit motivation, imagination and exceptional performance in the fields of engineering, mathematics and natural or applied sciences." As of 2015, KU is one of a select number of institutions that may nominate students for this award.
Students eligible for the current application cycle are those who:
- major in Natural or Applied Science, Engineering or Mathematics (biomedical research students are eligible; pre-med students are not).
- will be a junior or senior at the beginning of the next academic year.
- will have completed two years of full-time study at the University of Kansas by the coming fall semester.
- will maintain full-time student status during the coming academic year.
- have conducted a considerable amount of research in their field.
- are U.S. citizens.
Faculty members must nominate students for the award; students may not apply directly.
Campus Selection Process
Faculty members are encouraged to fill out an initial nomination form to help the scholarship committee's planning. We will pass on relevant information to students who have received initial nomination.
Faculty members may mentor students through the application process.
Campus level nomination packages are due February 12, 2021. The campus selection committee will choose the nominees, who will then revise and finalize their applications before the national deadline in March.
Campus Application Components
These letters shoudld be submitted by KU faculty using the form linked above.
Candidates should submit the following two components using the online submission form.
- Nominee's one-page personal statement
- Nominee's resume or CV
Students selected as nominees will receive guidance to polish their applications before the final national deadline (March 29, 2021). They will also be required to provide:
- Official academic transcripts
- Proof of citizenship
- Financial summary