A Unit of Academic Success

Fulbright, Boren, Gilman


More than 450 KU Students have received Fulbright awards! Dr. Rachel Sherman Johnson in the Office of International Programs is the Director of Fulbright Programs for the University of Kansas. US Fulbright Student Grants can be used:

  • To conduct research in more than 150 countries
  • To study at universities around the world, or
  • To teach English abroad (ETA)

OIP hosts info sessions in spring semester: In 2017 the sessions will be Tues. 3/14, Weds. 3/29, and Thurs. 3/30, all at 4:30 PM in Strong 335.

The campus deadline for initial proposals is August 21.

Boren Scholarships and Fellowships

The Boren Scholarship is coordinated through the Office of Study Abroad. The Boren:

  • Funds study abroad for study of languages that are critical to U.S. security
  • Can fund 6 months to a year for most majors
  • Can fund summer programs for STEM students

The Boren also a service commitment and gives priority hiring status for many US government jobs. Students interested in applying for the Boren should contact Jenna Hunter-Skidmore in the Office of Study Abroad.


The Gilman Scholarship provides funding for study abroad for students who are eligible for Federal Pell Grants. Students applying for the Gilman Scholarship work with the Office of Study Abroad coordinator for their study abroad destination and Associate Director of the Office of Study Abroad Michele Arellano.

Countdown to
Upcoming Events
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today