The Astronaut Scholarship Foundation provides $15,000 scholarships for "outstanding students who exhibit motivation, imagination and exceptional performance in the fields of engineering, mathematics and natural or applied sciences." As of 2015, KU is one of a select number of institutions that may nominate students for this award.
Students eligible for the current application cycle are those who:
- major in Natural or Applied Science, Engineering or Mathematics (biomedical research students are eligible; pre-med students are not).
- will be a junior or senior at the beginning of the next academic year
- will maintain full-time student status during the coming academic year.
- will have completed two years of full-time study at the University of Kansas by the coming fall semester.
- have conducted a considerable amount of research in their field.
- are U.S. citizens.
Faculty members must nominate students for the award; students may not apply directly.
Faculty members are encouraged to fill out an Astronaut Scholarship initial nomination form to help the scholarship committee plan accordingly. We will pass on relevant information to students who have received initial nomination. Faculty members may mentor students through the application process.
Campus level nomination packages are due in mid-February. The campus selection committee will choose the nominees, who will then revise and finalize their applications before the national deadline in March.
Campus Application Components
- Two nomination letters completed by KU faculty and submitted via the KU online letters of recommendation form.
- Candidates should submit the following two components using the Astronaut Scholarship online submission form.
- one-page personal statement – See the Astronaut Scholarship FAQ’s for more information.
- resume or CV
Students selected as nominees will receive guidance to polish their applications before the final national deadline at the end of March. They will also be required to provide:
- official academic transcripts
- proof of citizenship
- financial summary