Fulbright, Boren, Gilman Programs

A group of people seated on benches in an outdoor space


More than 450 KU Students have received Fulbright awards! Dr. Rachel Sherman Johnson in the Office of International Programs (OIP) is the Director of Fulbright Programs for The University of Kansas.

US Fulbright Student Grants can be used to:

  • conduct research in more than 150 countries
  • study at universities around the world, or
  • teach English abroad (ETA)

OIP hosts info sessions each spring semester.

The campus deadline for initial proposals is August 21.

Schedule an appointment with the Director of Fulbright Programs.

Boren Scholarships and Fellowships

The Boren Scholarship is coordinated through the Office of Study Abroad.

The Boren:

  • funds study abroad for study of languages that are critical to U.S. security
  • can fund 6 months to a year for most majors
  • can fund summer programs for STEM students

The Boren also involves a service commitment and gives priority hiring status for many US government jobs. Students interested in applying for the Boren should contact Brooke Stock in the Office of Study Abroad.


The Gilman Scholarship provides funding for study abroad for students who are eligible for Federal Pell Grants. Students applying for the Gilman Scholarship work with the Office of Study Abroad coordinator for their study abroad destination and application certification. The Office of Fellowships can also help with the application essays.