Critical Language Scholarship
Critical Language Scholarships (CLS) cover all costs of attending Intensive Summer Institutes through the United States Department of State.
Languages offered include Arabic, Azerbaijani, Bangla/Bengali, Chinese, Hindi, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Persian, Punjabi, Russian, Turkish, and Urdu. Students in all fields are eligible to apply after two semesters of college; additional criteria depend on the language being studied.
- You must be a U.S. citizen or national at the time of your application.
- You must be enrolled in an accredited U.S. degree-granting program at the undergraduate (associate's, bachelor's) or graduate (master's, doctoral, professional degree) level at the time of your application.
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- If in an undergraduate program (associate's or bachelor's), complete at least one full year of study (two semesters or three quarters) by the beginning of the CLS Program.
- You may only apply once, for one language program, each summer. Applicants who submit multiple applications will be considered ineligible.
- Participation is limited to a total of two CLS awards for any individual. Applicants who have been selected for and participated in the CLS Program one time may apply for a second award. Applicants who have successfully completed the CLS Program two or more times in overseas locations are not eligible to apply again. This limitation does not include participation in a CLS Virtual Institute.
Award recipients will be selected on the basis of merit with consideration for:
- commitment to language learning;
- connection between language and goals;
- preparation for the CLS Program;
- adaptability, sensitivity and resilience; and
- contribution to the CLS Program and program goals.
Access additional selection criteria for the CLS Program.
Dates & Deadlines
Information sessions are typically held in October in anticipation of the national deadline in mid-November.